Many webhosts offer their customers access to basic statistical tools at no additional charge, but to maximize your websiteâ€™s performance, youâ€™ll want access to more detailed data.
Fortunately, Google Analytics is a free service provided by Google that can be used to track a wide variety of data points.
Google analytics will give you access to a wealth of information that you can harness to improve your websiteâ€™s performance and track the success (or failures) of your marketing campaigns.
Google analytics is easy to install, just search, â€œHow to Install Google Analyticsâ€ to find plenty of tutorials.
Some basic, but important, stats you should make monthly notes of are:
- How many visitors came to your website?
- How did they find your site (search engine, direct, social networks, ads, emails, etc.)?
- What day of the week has the most visitors?
- How long does the average visitor stay on your website?
- What keywords are search engines ranking your website for?