Many webhosts offer their customers access to basic statistical tools at no additional charge, but to maximize your website’s performance, you’ll want access to more detailed data.
Fortunately, Google Analytics is a free service provided by Google that can be used to track a wide variety of data points.
Google analytics will give you access to a wealth of information that you can harness to improve your website’s performance and track the success (or failures) of your marketing campaigns.
Google analytics is easy to install, just search, “How to Install Google Analytics” to find plenty of tutorials.
Some basic, but important, stats you should make monthly notes of are:
- How many visitors came to your website?
- How did they find your site (search engine, direct, social networks, ads, emails, etc.)?
- What day of the week has the most visitors?
- How long does the average visitor stay on your website?
- What keywords are search engines ranking your website for?